Directive2019/1831 - indicative occupational exposure limit values
The list is based on Council Directive 98/24/EC concerning the protection of the health and safety of workers from the risks related to chemical agents in the workplace.
Indicative occupational exposure limit values (IOELV) are health-based, non-binding values, derived from the most recent scientific data available and taking into account the availability of reliable measurement techniques.
For any chemical agent for which an IOELV has been set at Union level, Member States are required to establish a national occupational exposure limit value. They also are required to take into account the Union limit value, determining the nature of the national limit value in accordance with national legislation and practice.
Member States shall bring into force the laws, regulations and administrative provisions necessary to comply with this Directive by 20 May 2021 at the latest.
IOELVs are established in relation to a reference period of 8 hours (considering a time-weighted average) and referred to as long-term exposure limit values, and, for certain chemical agents, these relate to shorter reference periods, in general 15 minutes (also time-weighted averages), referred to as short-term exposure limit values, to take account of the effects arising from short-term exposure.
The Directive establishes limit values for the following chemical agents:
Isobutyl acetateIsobutyl acetate
Skin absorption feature of three substances is noted.
2-Phenylpropane (Cumene) was already listed in the Annex to Commission Directive 2000/39/EC. The establishment of a new indicative limit value was recommended by SCOEL. The published value will be deleted from the Annexes to Commission Directive 2000/39/EC on 20 May 2021.
National laws implementing this Directive (not yet available)
There are further lists on indicative occupational exposure limit values:
- Commission Directive 91/322/EEC establishing indicative limit values
- Commission Directive 2000/39/EC establishing a first list of indicative occupational exposure limit values
- Commission Directive 2006/15/EC establishing a second list of indicative occupational exposure limit values
- Commission Directive 2009/161/EU establishing a third list of indicative occupational exposure limit values
- Commission Directive 2017/164/EU establishing a fourth list of indicative occupational exposure limit values