EU-OSHA flying the flag for Europe at the XX World Congress
Europe reached out to the world at the XX World Congress for Safety and Health at Work, held in Frankfurt, Germany between 24 and 27 August 2014. The Congress, held every three years, rotates between cities and continents, and the twentieth conference followed up the success of the previous event held in Istanbul, Turkey.
With a motto of "Sharing a vision for sustainable prevention", the Congress focused on three main topics: Achieving a prevention culture through prevention strategies and vision zero, facing the challenges in occupational health, and diversity in the world of work.
EU-OSHA had a major role in the Congress, in addition to being active in the multimedia and film festivals, the Agency provided speakers to many sessions:
· Károly György, Chair of the Agency’s Governing Board represented EU-OSHA in the Forum for Prevention
· EU-OSHA Director, Christa Sedlatschek, was chair for the ILO Technical Session 2 on OSH Strategies, as well for the Agency’s own symposium on preventing psychosocial risks, where Malgorzata Milczarek was the keynote speaker
· Sara Copsey spoke at a meeting on “Ensuring health, safety and work ability of working people of all ages” as well as presenting at the symposiums on “creating a safe and healthy working environment” and “How to strengthen workability in an ageing workforce”
· Tim Tregenza was co-moderator at the symposium on networking for prevention
· Elke Schneider participated in the symposium “Prevention of occupational skin diseases – a success story through innovative strategies” as well as in the symposium “New forms of energy, materials and technologies including greening society and occupational health"
· Dietmar Elsler spoke in the symposium on economic incentives, and
· Tsvetomir Tsanev presented in the symposium “How to establish prevention structures and institutions in developing and transition countries”
In addition to these many presentations, the Agency maintained a stand at the Congress, on which it launched the OSHWiki as well as demonstrating OiRA and promoting the current HWC Campaign on managing stress