The construction sector has one of the worst occupational safety and health records in Europe.
- Workers in the construction sector have greater exposure to biological, chemical and ergonomic risk factors, as well as noise and temperature.
- Around 45% of construction workers say their work affects their health.
- Construction is one of the most physically demanding sectors.
- The costs of accidents and ill health in the sector, are immense to individuals, employers and governments.
- More than 99% of construction firms in Europe are small and medium enterprises (SMEs).
- General safety measures
- Tackling major hazards and risks
- Agency publications on construction
What do I have to do? Advice for employers
- Responsibilities and legislation
- Health and safety management
- Risk assessment
- Accident prevention checklist
- Consultation, information and training
- The Bilbao Declaration