This guidance book targets anyone with responsibility for storing dangerous substances, regardless of facility size. It sets out control measures aimed at eliminating or reducing risks to people, at work or otherwise, from the storage of packaged dangerous goods. It contains good practice advice on the design of new facilities (and, within practical limits, of existing sites) and applies in particular to transit/distribution warehouses, open-air compounds and locations generally associated with a chemical production site or end user. The guidance reflects current legislation and changes in modern industry practice, and covers the wide range of chemicals now stored. Legal requirements, hazard identification and risk assessment, as well as hazardous area classification, are among the subjects covered. In addition, emergency arrangements, training needs and recommended audit/review processes are detailed.
There is further specific guidance on storage, including:
- The storage of flammable liquids in tanks.
- The storage of flammable liquids in containers.
- The storage and handling of organic peroxides.
- Storing petrol safely: fire and explosion.
- Safe storage of wood pellet and wood chip fuel.
- Bulk storage of acids: guidance on the storage of hydrochloric acid and nitric acid in tanks.